Monday 24 June 2013

Liverpool Care Pathway - A Time Of Your Choosing

What we say always has consequences. Those in public life bear a terrible responsibility, therefore,  for what they say may have terrible consequences. That is their gift; that is their curse.


Death is always the final choice.

These are the proponents of Death with Dignity -

Sir Terry Pratchett
"I endorse the work of Dignity in Dying because I believe passionately that any individual should have the right to choose, as far as it is possible, the time and the conditions of their death.  Over the last hundred years we have learned to be extremely good at living.  But sooner or later, and so often now it is later, everybody dies.  I think it's time we learned to be as good at dying as we are at living."
Sir Terry Pratchett



Simon Weston OBE"We live in a free society with all the choices that go with it. We choose when to marry, have children, what treatment we should have, where to live, who to consult for advice, in fact how we should live our lives. This should include the opportunity to choose the time we die"
Simon Weston OBE

"This is a free society..."

"Any individual should have the right to choose, as far as it is possible, the time and the conditions of their death."

This is Croydon Guardian -

Under Rule 43 of the Coroners Rules, Dr Palmer agreed to write to the Prime Minister urging him to consider action against assisted suicide sites. 
Mrs Boyle said: "This is the beginning, it is by no means the end. The fact the letter will be sent to David Cameron allows me to challenge his office directly." 
A charity called Kevoirdo's Big Love has been set up in Kevin's name and aims to become a one stop intervention for anyone in mental distress, particularly young men. 
Through its Facebook page those in serious distress can be directly referred to two support groups. 
Mrs Boyle said: "I am not arrogant enough to say we have all the answers, but I am arrogant enough to say we will do this and cut suicide rates." 
Describing her son, she added: "Kevin was an amazing young man, he could walk into a room and it would light up."
Kevin Boyle bought himself a suicide kit, perhaps, the very sort touted by Nitschke, the Australian Dr. Death.

Gentlemen, briefly, what have you to say to Kevin's mum to explain and to defend her son's choice and to offer her solace...? 

Post Script:

Jean-Luc Picard

As the series progressed, Stewart exercised more control over the character's development. By the time production began on the first Next Generation film, "it was impossible to tell where Jean Luc started and Patrick Stewart ended",[10] and by the fourth film, he stated that,
"I find myself talking a lot about Picard and one of the things that I’ve come to understand is that as I talk a lot about Picard what I find is I’m talking about myself. There was a sort of double action that occurred. In one sense Picard was expanding like this and at the same time he was also growing closer and closer to me as well and in some respect I suppose even had some influence on me. I became a better listener than I ever had been as a result of playing Jean Luc Picard because it was one of the things that he does terrifically well.[6]"
"There is no dignity in suicide."- Captain Picard of the Star Ship Enterprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment