Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Liverpool Care Pathway - A True Story Supplemental

The story you are about to hear is true; only the names have been changed to protect the innocent. It's just the facts; it's just the facts...

The Big Kill (Follow Up) -

May had confided her belief they were all "a bunch of crooks" in there, meaning they weren't to be trusted...

May was also observed to put her fist up to the nurse after she left the bedside.

The poor lady must have been delirious, not quite with it...

Why else would she put her fist up to a nurse...?

Well, May was smiling drug-induced smiles and her head was tottery. Had they already begun LCP...?

May was alert to being man-handled by the doctor who thumped her chest and declared to the family she had pneumonia: she spoke up and said: "What are you doing!"

Pneumonia is treated with antibiotics. The doctor left and returned to say he had spoken to his LCP team and that May was dying. The family agreed she should go quietly on the LCP.

No-one asked May!

They put her in a side room. The family was asked to leave while they set up the driver.

When the family were allowed back in, they took a little time to discover that the driver had been put in May's leg.

When the deed was done and the end came some 18 hours later, a further syringe - a large, hefty one - was found on the bed where May had departed this world. It was thought to have been lying beneath her.

What was that for...?

These are unanswered questions that remain to be answered but could not be asked of the Macmillan nurses who were long gone.

May died from the neglect and the effects of starvation that weakened her and the LCP which finished her off. That didn't go on the death certificate.

The police will not pursue a case for post mortem because, they say, May had capacity.

May had capacity, but no-one asked her if she wanted to go on the LCP.

May was in pain, they said, but when man-handled by the doctor, she didn't cry out in pain but asked with determination: "What are you doing?" 

The case is to be pursued. The results are yet in the offing.

The results are in on another case reported in the press.

The Mail reports on a case of neglect.

Geoff Thompson went into hospital severely dehydrated. The hospital then proceeded to deprive him of fluids and the gentleman died eight hours later:

A hospital patient was subjected to 'an extraordinary lack of care' and died after waiting eight hours for water, according to a coroner's report.Coroner Nicholas Rheinberg said that Geoff Thompson, 39, died of 'natural causes contributed to by neglect.'

Being denied fluids when suffering dehydration  is hardly 'natural' causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment