Tuesday 30 October 2012

Liverpool Care Pathway – A Heartrending Tale

BBC Radio Nottingham features a distressing and harrowing story on the LCP.
Scroll forward to 1 hours and 55 minutes, then to 2 hours and 7 minutes

Frances Finn sits in for Andy Whittaker




















Full transcription follows:


Frances Finn  1.55
Now, have you heard of something called the Liverpool Care plan? From what we can make of it at BBC Radio Nottingham, it’s a way of looking after a patient who is going to die that really accelerates their death. Eh, water and food can be withdrawn. You’re going to hear from one Nottinghamshire woman who is horrified to find out that her father was put on this plan even though she believes he wasn’t terminally ill. More on this to come -

News follows………………………..

Frances Finn  2.07
A family is criticising Kings Mill Hospital, claiming their father was put on a programme designed to end his life without their consent. Phillip Charlesworth's family says the 83 year-old had been getting better but was still put on what's called the Liverpool care pathway. Now, the idea behind the Pathway is to ease the suffering of the terminally ill patient in their final days. And it can involve upping pain-killers and withdrawing food and drink, effectively, accelerating their death. Phillip's daughter is Denise and can tell you more about it. Good morning, Denise. 

Denise
Good morning Frances. My dad was 82, actually, yeah…

Frances Finn 
82, okay. He was admitted to hospital, but you don’t think he was terminally ill.

Denise
No, he definitely was not terminally ill. He was admitted with shortage of breath. His doctor was concerned that he had pneumonia. And as such he was being treated for pneumonia in the hospital.

Frances Finn 
Now, this Care Pathway, as I said, it can accelerate a patient’s death and, I think in the case of the terminally ill, you can understand that, for the patient, that can be the best way forward. You know, why elongate the suffering of an individual? But, you had no idea this was on the cards until you began to notice a few signs, didn’t you? What did you notice?                          

Denise
Well, we noticed that, em, is the common denominator seems to be people are moved into a side room, there’s no actual monitors on them, they have a mask on them and they have no food and no water. And basically, any sign of movement and the nursing staff come in and up their sedatives and up the morphine. So, basically, eh, it’s almost gassing them.

Frances Finn 
Were you asked if you wanted him to be put on the Pathway?

Denise
Not at all, no. No, we, we had absolutely no idea what the Liverpool Care Pathway was until all this came out in the press very recently and it was something that was mentioned in passing like just mentioning, you know, there’s a storm in America. That’s about all we knew about it.

Frances Finn 
And you found out for sure after the coroner made his report, is that right?

Denise
Yes, my brother was able to examine the, eh, medical certificate at the crematorium before my father’s funeral and he annotated what was on there because we queried something when we went to the bereathement centre, em and, basically we just wanted to find out what it was that they said dad had died of. At the time, you don’t sort of take things in. So, my brother had made extensive and copious notes about what it actually said on there and the bottom line was that he was put on Liverpool Care Pathway. Well, I couldn’t believe it. I thought that’s tantamount to murder.

Frances Finn 
Because you don’t believe he would have died?

Denise
I don’t believe he was that ill that it needed anything like that to actually, em, kill him off, basically, no. My dad, two hours before he died, was trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom.

Frances Finn 
And you say that he was wanting water, he was asking for water?

Denise
Yes, when we were actually there with him on the Wednesday, we weren’t allowed to give him a cup of tea or anything like that. We had these  little doily sponge things to give to him em…and er, when we actually     

Frances Finn 
To wipe the water round the inside of his mouth? (repeats)

Denise
Yes. That’s right, yeah. And basically we wetted these things for him and it was like seeing a newborn baby sucking on a bottle. He was gasping for water, or fluids. It was awful to see. I mean, now I know what it’s all about, if I’d known as much as I do now, you know, then, I probably would have created absolute mayhem and, at the moment, I just feel that something more could have been done and I just feel terrible, I really do.
  
Frances Finn 
I believe that the rules are that accompany the pathway are that if a patient does start to show signs of thirst, movement as you say, that is a situation that demands a review. You know, if that patient on the right plan for their care…

Denise
Exactly right

Frances Finn 
They were ignoring those signs?

Denise
Exactly right. There are four criteria they should actuall adhering to. One is that they’re comatose. The other one is that they can’t swallow tablets. The other one is that they can’t speak. And also that they can’t get out of bed. Well, you tell me which one my dad was because there’s supposed to be at least two of those which are tantamount to putting people on the pathway. And I have to say, he was none of those. If a man was trying to get out of his bed two hours beforehand then, certainly, he was not bedridden, and certainly he was swallowing, and, you know, whatever… it was just a catalogue of disasters to be quite honest.

Frances Finn 
Denise, the way you describe him just sucking on that little sponge, that must be now so heartbreaking for you. At the time, you thought you were doing your best but, now looking back, how do you feel?

Denise
I feel like I murdered him. (pause) It’s… That’s how I feel. I feel so… I’m so… I’m going to get upset, now. I actually feel that there should have been more that we could have done… (sobs) it’s awful to think that my dad won’t be here anymore and I struggle with it every day to try and think, you know, what could I have done. But at the time, you think, you know, you’re putting your trust in a doctor who knows best. And so, therefore, you don’t criticise what they’re doing; you think they’re doing the best for people who are in hospitals. And I have to say, talk about losing faith with the medical profession, having read so many disgusting, absolutely horrific stories about what’s happened to other people’s relatives, I’m sorry, but this, this has to stop and I’ve set up my own Facebook page for people to contact me on. And there are three other Facebook pages which I am also a member of and hearing people on a daily basis coming forward and telling me their stories about what’s been happening is, actually, disgusting. And I’ve actually turned round and said we should contact our MPs, although, having said that, I’ve tried to make contact with two MPs who are pro the er this Dignitas thing. One is Norman Lamb who is actually in Norfolk, one of my MPs, and the other one is Anna Soubry, who is one of your MPs, but as we’re not in their area, neither of them are interested, so how do you actually, em, contact them to tell them that, actually, what’s happening with the Liverpool Care Pathway is actually being abused because…?  People… are making money

Frances Finn 
Well I know that… There is an investigation being carried out into this pathway itself, as a care strategy if you like. We have asked Kings Mill Hospital to comment on what’s happened, Denise. They haven’t been able to provide somebody to speak about it but I will just read you what the statement has been from the Sherwood Forest NHS Hospitals Trust. It says the Liverpool Care Pathway enables healthcare professionals to focus on care in the last hours or days of life. It provides high quality care tailored to the patient’s individual needs when their death is expected. Using the pathway in any environment requires regular assessment and involves regular reflection, challenge, senor decision making, clinical skill in the best interests of the patient. The family of Mr. Charlesworth  hasn’t raised their concerns directly with us but we would be happy to meet with them. Just finally, Denise, will you meet with them?

Denise
I definitely will because I want to know why they thought they could play god with my father.

Frances Finn 
I’m so sorry to hear of what you’ve been through, Denise, and as I said there is an investigation now as other patients in other parts of the country have raised their concerns about the pathway. Thankyou for talking to us.

Denise
Thankyou, Frances, for listening to me.

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, I offer my sincere codolences to Denise and her family.
    Secondly, I have to fully support, and commend, Professor Patrick Pullicino for expressing his concerns that the Liverpool Care Pathway is being prematurely and, at times, inappropriately implemented.
    In August 2005 my partner only elected for a day surgery biopsy on a neck mass that began development in March 2005. As opposed to accompanying me home that day the Consultant surgeon came to tell me that she suffered respiratory collapse, in the recovery room, following surgery.
    An emergency Tracheostomy was performed and she was made stable in ICU. At no time had she been judged as terminally ill.
    I next saw her consciously 4 days later on the nursing ward where she then told me, “I have been through hell”. Because she expressed wishes to seek legal action when she returned home I have photographic evidence of her condition and over 300 ward medical notes now condemning the NHS Trust’s treatment.
    Despite the biopsy result revealing Tongue cancer, no cancer treatment was forthcoming and she was immediately prescribed opiates. An undated DNAR notice only came to light after her death when the Trust took 4 months to forward the medical notes.
    The “Kafkaesque” NHS complaint procedure and 2 Independent Reviews prove no evidence of cancer, her sole registered cause of death. But because the NHS Trust deliberately delayed their responses to expire the limitation period they have escaped any litigation.
    To briefly summarise, the Liverpool Care Pathway, in its infancy, in 2005, was wrongly implemented and definitely, without question, hastened my partner’s death. Her only other complaint, apart from arthritic pain, was Asthma. So to have been prescribed Tramadol, MST, Oramorph and the final surreptitious administration of a Morphine syringe together with Midazolam and Cyclizine, in an Asthmatic with a previous history of DVT that was also overlooked, is considered gross neglect in the least. I thought I was only needing to prove a late cancer diagnosis, not to eventually learn that the lung nodules were multiple pulmonary embolisms. There is also no documentation of any heparin prophylaxis or surgical stockings being used.

    ReplyDelete